IT’S OFFICIAL! HE PROPOSED AND YOU’VE ACCEPTED.
This kind of wonderful news should be delivered to your families in person. If distance does not allow this, a phone call should be made as soon as possible.
Next, you should tell your friends and relatives, followed by supervisors and coworkers. The sooner everyone knows the more time they will have to arrange
their schedules for the big day.
You may announce your engagement as soon as you are officially engaged. An engagement ring is not necessary to publish the news. All that is necessary is your promise to each other.
• Let your parents and immediate families know first. It’s best done in person
• Make sure to also announce your engagement via Facebook and change your status
CALENDARS & CHECKLISTS
TWELVE OR MORE MONTHS BEFORE
- Set your date and times
- Establish your budget
- Decide on the size and style of your wedding.
- If desired, book your wedding consultant.
- Choose your wedding party and confirm the participants.
- Meet and book your wedding officiant.
- Start working on your guest list.
NINE TO TWELVE MONTHS BEFORE
- Announce your engagement.
- Order your wedding dress and attendant’s attire.
- Book a photographer and/or videographer.
- Book the caterer.
- Book your music (live entertainment or DJ).
- Book your florist.
- Book any rental items you might need i.e.: chairs, linens, etc.
- Book the ceremony and reception locations.
- Research accommodations for out-of-town guests.
- Plan your honeymoon.
SIX TO NINE MONTHS BEFORE
- Reserve the location for the rehearsal dinner Plan and send out invitations to rehearsal dinner.
- Order the invitations and any other stationery
(i.e.: reply & thank you cards)
- Order your wedding cake.
- Book your wedding day transportation.
- Have the mothers select their dresses.
- Check marriage license (and any other paperwork) requirements.
- Finalize your guest list.
- Finalize what you want on your gift registry list.
THREE TO SIX MONTHS BEFORE
- Finalize your flowers.
- Send out the invitations.
- Purchase the wedding rings.
- Reserve formalwear for the men.
- Finalize the menu.
- Choose wedding favours and start getting them ready.
- Reserve your room for the wedding night.
- Purchase additional event outfits.
- Purchase attendant gifts.
- Start gift registry.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE
- Decide on your wedding vows.
- Confirm wedding details with your officiant.
- Confirm wedding details with your musician.
- Purchase parents’ gifts.
- Make hair and beauty appointments.
- Compile guest lists for showers and give to hostess.
- Schedule final dress fitting.
- Have programs printed.
- Purchase any additional bridal wear (veil, shoes, etc.)
- Confirm attendants’ attire.
- Finalize your gift registry.
- Record all gifts received with name, address and type.
ONE MONTH BEFORE
- Have final meeting with photographer/videographer* give a list of Must-Have Photos.
- Plan and send out invitations to rehearsal dinner.
- Get the marriage license.
- Confirm all of your travel arrangements.
- Have the bachelor and bachelorette parties.
- If needed, get all the appropriate name change documents.
- Attendants should have their final fittings done.
Confirm your transportation.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE
- Have the final fitting on your wedding dress.
- Contact any guests who have not replied.
- Notify your caterer of the final guest count.
- Write your toasts/speeches.
- Have a party for your attendants.
- Finalize the reception details.
- Deliver your song lists to your musician.
- Confirm your honeymoon plans.
- Break in your new shoes.
ONE WEEK BEFORE
- Finalize rehearsal dinner plans.
- Finalize seating arrangement.
- Determine order for the procession.
- Pick up attire for the men.
- Assign responsibilities to the attendants.
CONFIRM DETAILS WITH
- Wrap your attendants’ gifts
- Have all your beauty treatments
- Write any required cheques (i.e.: officiant, caterer, etc.)
ONE DAY BEFORE
- Have your rehearsal.
- Give the attendants their gifts.
Give the parents their gifts.
THE WEDDING DAY
- Take your time getting ready.
- Give the wedding rings to the best man.
- Give the written cheques to the best man to hand out.
- Relax and enjoy your special day.
AFTER THE WEDDINGS
- Make a gift list and send out thank-you cards. * should be done within two months of receiving.
- Arrange for cleaning and preservation of your wedding gown.